Tutoring at MCC is free for MCC students in credit-bearing courses! Subjects include: math, accounting, English composition, English language learning, writing help in any course, anatomy and physiology I&II, chemistry, biology, physics, microbiology, pharmacology, and Microsoft computer applications. Tutors are not available for all subjects and courses offered at MCC.
MCC Tutors are professional tutors, peer tutors and English professors.
SmartThinking is also available 24/7 through Canvas. Work with online tutors in real time.
Signing Up for a Tutoring Appointment
- In-Person and Virtual appointments available by signing up on Navigate.
- If you are interested in in-person tutoring, the location will be in the Learning Commons.
- Virtual tutoring will be via Zoom.
- All tutoring appointments and requests can be made through Navigate. Please find the list of subjects and tutors here.
- If you cannot find a time that works, please select the "Request Tutoring Appointment" option on the scheduling screen on Navigate. Include as many details as possible. Please note: tutoring requests are not monitored on the weekend.
Tips for a Successful Tutoring Session
- Complete all homework assignments to the best of your ability.
- Make use of your professor's office hours.
- Try to identify any areas of difficulty you are having.
- Don't wait until the last minute, see a tutor as soon as you are having trouble, or before.
- Tutoring is not just for students who are having trouble; it is for anyone who would like some extra help.
What Tutoring Can Do for You:
- Clarify of course material
- Assist with studying and study skills
- Reassure when material seems overwhelming
- Provide test preparation & test-taking tips
24/7 Online Tutoring
Free online tutoring is also available to all students 24/7 via computer or mobile device. With this service—called Smarthinking— you work with online tutors in real time. Tutors can review papers that you submit to them (within 24 hours). Help is available by drop-in or by appointment and is accessed from within Canvas.
Becoming a Tutor at MCC
To start the process of becoming a tutor at MCC, please download and print the application below, complete all of the required components, including getting a faculty or supervisor signature of support, and then drop it off at the Academic Advising Center.
Once submitted, your application will be reviewed by the Tutoring Program Coordinator. If it is determined that your educational background meets the requirements and demands of the institution's tutoring needs, you will be contacted directly.
If you have feedback you would like to share about your tutor or tutoring experience, you can do so here.