Students applying for the LPN to RN Completion Option are required to complete the National League for Nursing (NLN) Nursing Acceleration Challenge Exam—Book I: Foundations of Nursing exam (NACE I). This exam is computer-based and administered in a 3 ½ (three and one half) hour session.
Students must obtain a minimum decision score of 75 or higher to be considered for admission to the program. Test scores will be valid for one application year only. The exam can be retaken in 4 weeks if necessary.
The NACE I includes content related to nursing care to meet basic physiological and psychosocial needs. NACE I questions are written in the framework of the nursing process. This reflects the current approach for providing care to clients. For purposes of the NACE I, the steps of the nursing process are defined as follows:
- Assessing – includes collecting physical, emotional and cultural data; and recognizing signs, symptoms and behaviors.
- Analyzing – includes interpreting data, identifying clients’ needs and making nursing diagnoses.
- Planning - includes setting goals, selecting measures for care and identifying correct techniques for giving care.
- Implementing – includes responding appropriately to clients’ needs for nursing care and using effective communication when giving information and/or teaching.
- Evaluating – includes recognizing intended and unintended effects of measures and treatments, determining evidence of clients’ compliance with treatment plans and determining evidence of clients’ response to measure and treatment.
The NACE I has individual questions involving clients who have common health problems. The nursing process – assessing, analyzing, planning, implementing and evaluating – is applied in items throughout the test. Questions include a sample of situations involving clients in health care settings with one or more of the following topics:
Safe & Effective Care Environment
- Home health
- Chronic illness
- Palliative care/Hospice
- Pre- and post-op care
- Infectious disease
- Sterile technique
- Safe ambulation
Health Promotion & Maintenance
- Vital signs
- Communication (Verbal & Non-verbal)
- Moral/ethical/legal issues
- Stress management
- Loss and death
- Fractured lives
- Transgender care
- Spiritual & cultural issues
- Basic health needs
- Medication administration
- Fluids and electrolytes
- IV therapy
- Body alignment
- Sensory changes in the elderly
How To Prepare For The Exam
NACE preparation products are live and available in the official NLN store.
View the NACE Prep Materials document for complete details.